First of all: Congratulations! You chose a path full of pain, violence and incompetent idiots who do competent stuff ...
Want an example? Well ... if you are not by any chance using a mainstream-mainstream device (eg. Galaxy S4) you are fucked. Plan to buy at least one 64GB SD-Card as you most likely wont find any version of TWRP (the most common tool used for backup etc.) compatible with your phone AND up to date so that you can directly transfer to your PC.
Alternativly buy a USB-OTG cable, again it takes time for it to arrive on amazon or for you to find in your local electronics market ...
But what to do if you want to flash right now?
Well ... Skip Backup ... because for some reason those mind-dead developers thought it would be a great idea to write a comprehensive guide on how to build it on your own ... just ... that you cannot understand anything of it unless you ever build anything on your own.
Chances are you already did build something using make and eg. gcc, congratulations, the guide still is complete utter shit for you unless you did so for android :)
So you seek out again for the internet for more help...
New guide, new luck. This time, it tells you it is a step by step guide for people who have little to no experience in buidling android but want to LEARN how to do it ...
LEARN already is a great indicator what is following ... a comprehensive guide how to do exactly nothing on a linux system ...
majority of those ppl facing problems here will be neither using LINUX nor they have ANY experience or ANY interest in learning how to build shit! FOR FUCK SAKE YOU MORONS ... you do stuff normal people want to use. You write guides for developers that are trying to get into that field. You do literally EVERYTHING to prevent ppl from using your shit clean thus they get frustrated and for fuck sake i exactly know that you hate those people for asking after they did not understood your "very comprehensive non-step-by-step guide to LEARN"
so ... here is what you have to do to actually avoid questions like that ...
- Write an actual step by step guide
For some reason ... the knowledge about what a step by step guide is and why it is needed got lost somewhere in the eternal void of the internet ... so here is quickly a reminder: Step by Step guide can be done by setting up a new system (eg. in a VM, my comprehensive guide is:
use apt to install it faggots) and then writing down EVERY interaction one does! Every mouse click, every input hell even if you move windows it can get important for the user (before you actually do this: DO NOT ... ppl tend to know how to handle windows). Also ... do not expect people to have your system, expect the major system to be used! The majority of people uses MS WINDOWS not any unix variant so fucking write your step by step guide from that perspective ... you only can build using linux? Then fucking write that down! Tell people they shall check out a step by step guide about how to install linux in a VM ...
- Fire whoever was responsible for the old guide Seriously ... whoever is too stupid to do the most simple thing in the world but rather writes down garbage for people who would ask for such things in IRC channels or EMAIL lists ... is not supposed to do any public relations shit.
- Clean up your pages
simple example? Needed TWRP and lineageos for my SM-T560... there are multiple variants of this tablet out there, lineageos has no way to check for the modelnum whilst TWRP lists a magic
SM-T560NU... the dump idiot now thinks "ohhh thats mine!" but he is wrong like usual as the NU variant is qualcomm based ... incompatible stuff ya know ... so add more manifacturer info ... for fuck sake PLEASE how hard is it?! your whole page contains useless info but adding those things you need at build time anyways you cannot add?
If you follow theese 3 tiny steps, you are one step closer to actually being useful ...
Now here is my comprehensive guide to fix that whole shit for any tablet:
- Ignore those fuckheads and backup manually, either by your tablets manufacturer tool (giving you some crypting garbage backup you cannot use) or by downloading every file via eg. adb or another tool of your choice (google
file transfer androidand it should show up plenty)
- Make sure you actually backed up everything, no going back from here
- Try to find the right lineageos release for your phone ... use google to get the matching name for your modelnumber (do not just check the box as that is most likely not the full describor and there are differences in the models)
- Follow the actually really good guide of lineageos for your device (in case you need to get out of the download mode:
PRESS ALL KEYS FOR ~5 SECONDS)
- Avoid using
heimdallas it is a garbage tool (use
- Burn your smartphone/tablet because nothing works
- Sleep a night
- Realize you slept over due to phone being still in recovery mode
- Repeat step 1-6 until it works
- Congratulations: you forgot to add google apps